Friday, September 10, 2010

Butterflies

"And I can't tell you what it is but
It's the best thing that I found yeah
The butterflies in my stomach
And my feet off the ground..." ~from "Butterflies" by Dave Barnes

What comes to mind when you hear the word "butterflies?" For me, this simple image has taken on many meanings.
There are the playful butterflies that seem to dance as they float above the flowers in a field or just above the ground.
There are the butterflies like those described above--that seem to flutter about in your stomach when you are overwhelmed by a sense of joy, excitement, or perhaps even love...
Then, for me, there is the symbolism of the butterfly and its own life cycle. A beautiful new creation. The old has gone, the new has come (2 Cor. 5:17). A symbol of hope, freedom and newness of life.
There is a beauty to the butterfly and a fragility as well.

For whatever reason, the image of a butterfly has popped up repeatedly in my life over the last week or so.
Tons of butterflies all around as I canoed down the Caney Fork River this weekend...In random conversation as I've spoken with a friend...Even tonight, as I sat to work on a Bible study with a lesson titled "God's story-your story," there are images of butterflies throughout the lesson.
So, what is God trying to show me? "I can't tell you what it is but..." I am grateful for it! I feel more full of life and hope at this moment than I have in a very long time.
I am thankful for the butterflies in my stomach, and I am ready to embrace the new story God is laying out before me...His story of renewal, restoration, and recreation.