Friday, August 27, 2010

Expect the Unexpected

"In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." Psalm 5:3

For years I have prayed prayers laced with my own desires (whether I realized it or not). God has been teaching me and moving me to pray in a different way lately. My quiet time has seemed to frequently point to praying for God's will more and more. Not that this is a new revelation...after all, Jesus taught us to pray saying "
your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven" (Matt. 6:10). Yet, somehow, I have managed to leave that part out in my own prayers.

As God has prompted my heart over the course of the past year and as I have had to depend on Him more than ever before, I have begun to pray with expectation. Not that what I prayed would happen; rather, praying and expecting that God's will was best and believing that no matter what I do (and as my pastor reminded me Sunday), "God is orchestrating every detail. Nothing can thwart His plan." (Thanks, Lloyd!) :)

I am grateful for this simple truth and for the pleasant, yet unexpected blessings in my life.