"Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation." ~Psalm 91:14-16
As I read this passage, I am struck by God's promise that He will be with us in trouble...Notice it doesn't say "if" you are troubled, rather it's clear that trouble will in fact come at some point. Sometimes it takes God allowing us to endure a time of suffering in order for His will to be perfected in us. He does not delight in our suffering; rather, He takes delight in our dependence on Him...our willingness to trust Him with all that we are...and being our source of refuge and protection.
A song we sang in church this morning immediately came to mind as I read the full passage of Psalm 91...
Oh my God, He will not delay
My refuge and strength always
Oh my God, His promise is true,
My God will come through always, Always!
I wish I knew who to credit for this precious reminder, but I'm guessing it was written by one of our worship leaders (Carl Cartee, Jeromy Diebler, Jason Ingram, or Ronnie Freeman...there, they all get credit!). :)
This song has become like the theme music in my head for my life story right now...while I believe God is in control, it is sometimes hard to rest in trusting Him. Singing these words is a sweet reminder of God's faithfulness. While easier said than done, I am trusting that My God will not delay in healing my heart, restoring my hope and redeeming my brokenness.