First, let me say...wow...it's been awhile. Following a conversation last night with some dear friends, I thought perhaps it is time to write again. I do, after all, love to write. Perhaps it's part of what I have been missing these last several months. An outlet, a way to express my thoughts even though no one may ever read them or they may hold no value except unto myself. I think we all need that. A space to be heard, or at least feel like what we say matters.
So, here I am.
To catch up on the past nearly two years would take some time and probably be a bit boring. In short, Carter is now 7 3/4 (yes, the 3/4 matters) and into everything from baseball and basketball to piano, music, legos, and any opportunity to be artistic or entertain. Our days have been filled with much joy and laughter, as well as the growing pains of settling into it being truly just "Mommy and Me."
These childhood years are filled with moments I want to savor, as I know they are all too fleeting.
That fact rings loudly in my mind as I sit in the uncomfortable silence of his absence.
Carter will be home tomorrow, but each weekend he is away it never gets easier. I miss the sound of his laughter, his sweet smile, his warm hugs, his sense of humor, his way of combing my hair to one side with his little hands because he thinks I look "cute" like that...I love everything about this kid...right down to his stinky little feet. I pray that he'll know how much his mama loves him...always and forever, no matter what. And more importantly, I feel the weight of teaching and sharing with him and praying that with his whole heart he will know that God loves us with an even greater love...always and forever, no matter what.
And so, in the coming days, weeks, and months, I'll share here that journey....the journey of motherhood and of faith. Until we meet again...